Built in 1900, the shop on Bolshaia Morskaia
in St. Petersburg was one of the city's most fashionable and desirable
locations, housing most of the main workshops. On the top floor was
Carl's luxurious apartment. At its peak, the firm also had branches
in Moscow, Odessa, London and Kiev.
Although Carl Faberge set the standards for the House of Faberge, he
relied on his workmasters to execute the designs for the Imperial eggs
with perfection. They were the finest goldsmiths and jewelers in Russia.
Michael Perkhin (1860-1903)
Head of the Faberge workshops from 1886 until his death in 1903; supervised
the creation of approximately half of the Imperial eggs, which are marked
"MP." Created by Gatchina Palace Egg
Henry Wigstrom (1862-1923)
Became the head work master after Perkhin's death; continued Perkhin's
role in supervising production of the Imperial eggs; those he produced
are marked "HW."
Albert Holmstrom (1876-1925)
Produced the Winter and Mosaic eggs, which were designed by his niece,
Alma Theresia Pihl.
Franz Birbaum (1872-1947)
Chief workmaster from 1893 to 1918; also artist, designer and miniaturist.
Claimed responsibility for designing over half of the Imperial eggs.
George Stein (1870-1954)
Executed the miniature coach for the Coronation Egg.
Konstantine Krizhitski (?-1911)
Painted the miniatures for the Caucasus and Danish Palaces eggs.
Johannes Zehngraf (1857-1908)
Chief miniaturist; also responsible for decorating the Lilies of the
Vassilii Zuiev (1870-c.1917)
Miniaturist for most of the Imperial Eggs after 1904, including the
Fifteenth Anniversary egg.
Gustav Shkilter (1874-1954)
Designed the Steel Military Egg.
Copyright © Public Broadcasting
Service (PBS). All rights reserved.