The Walters Art Museum is internationally renowned for its collection, which was amassed substantially by two men, William and Henry Walters. The collection presents an overview of world art from pre-dynastic Egypt to 20th-century Europe, and counts among its many treasures Greek sculpture and Roman sarcophagi; medieval ivories and Old Master paintings; Art Deco jewelry and 19th-century masterpieces. In fall 2001, the Walters celebrated the Grand Reopening of its largest building, which underwent a dramatic three-year renovation. The renovation allows many objects to be on view for the first time, and presents the collection in a dramatic new light.
The Walters Art Museum
The Walters Art Museum preserves and develops in the public trust a distinguished collection of world art from antiquity to the 20th century. In 1931, the museum's founding benefactor, Henry Walters, bequeathed the core collection to the City of Baltimore "for the benefit of the public." Since its opening, the Walters has been a national leader in scholarship, conservation, and education.
Mission StatementThe Walters Art Museum brings art and people together for enjoyment, discovery, and learning. We strive to create a place where people of every background can be touched by art. We are committed to exhibitions and programs that will strengthen and sustain our community.
copyright © 2001 The Walters Art Museum | All rights reserved